Updated on 02/22/2024
My name is Frank and I run a tour operator in Bogota, specializing in custom-made and Colombia luxury travel.
At the end of this guide you will find a useful Colombia travel guide.
Why visit El Carmen de Bolivar?
El Carmen de Bolívar is one of the municipalities of the department of Bolívar and is very close to the Colombian Caribbean coast.
This municipality borders to the east with the municipalities of Zambrano and Córdoba, to the south with the municipality of Ovejas, to the north with the municipality of San Jacinto and to the west with the municipalities of San Onofre and Colosó.
El Carmen de Bolívar is a great destination because it offers places with lots of nature, a great gastronomic offer and of course a great atmosphere during the festivals that take place throughout the year.
Facts about El Carmen de Bolívar
- El Carmen de Bolívar has the third largest population in the department of Bolívar.
- El Carmen de Bolívar is the birthplace of Luche Bermúdez, author of the famous musical theme “Colombia tierra querida”.
- El Carmen de Bolívar is divided into 57 neighborhoods.
- El Carmen de Bolívar is 197 meters above sea level.
- El Carmen de Bolívar was one of Colombia’s most important export centers in the first half of the 20th century.
- El Carmen de Bolívar is located 114 km (71 miles) from Cartagena, the capital of the department of Bolívar.
- The lyrics and music of the anthem of El Carmen de Bolívar are by the writer and poet Genaro Martínez.
- El Carmen de Bolívar has a warm climate with temperatures between 24°C and 36°C.
- The main economic sectors in El Carmen de Bolívar are trade, agriculture and services.
- El Carmen de Bolívar has a population of approximately 70,000 inhabitants.
- El Carmen de Bolívar is known for supplying the entire department of Bolívar with products such as cocoa, tobacco, avocado, sesame and sweet potatoes.
- El Carmen de Bolivar was founded on August 6, 1776 by Don Antonio de la Torre y Miranda.
- El Carmen de Bolívar has an area of 954 square kilometers.
Tourist attractions in El Carmen de Bolivar
In the following we present some of the most important sights of the municipality:
Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora del Carmen de Bolívar.
Calle 24 # 51-30
The Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora del Carmen de Bolívar is located in the main square.
This is where everyone who takes part in the procession in honor of the Virgen del Carmen in July gathers.
La Cansona hill
Cerro La Cansona, 600 meters above sea level, is one of the three highest peaks of the Montes de María.
From here you have a magnificent view of the mountains, the Playón reservoir and the Canal del Dique.
Monument to heroes who died in action
The Monument to the Fallen Heroes is located in the main square.
It commemorates the officers, NCOs, Marines and soldiers of the National Navy who died in FARC fighting and attacks between 1997 and 2005.
Itinerant Museum of Memory and Identity of the Montes de María
The Museo Itinerante de la Memoria y la Identidad de los Montes de María is a place that honors the victims of the armed conflict.
The museum consists of a light wooden structure.
The Cortés Campomanes Stadium is located in the south of the city, next to the Troncal de Occidente.
This stadium has a capacity of 7000 spectators.
Attractions near El Carmen de Bolivar
Here are some attractions near El Carmen de Bolívar.
Sanctuary of Fauna and Flora Los Colorados
The Los Colorados Fauna and Flora Sanctuary is located in the municipality of San Juan Nepomuceno, 28 km (17 miles) from El Carmen de Bolívar.
This area has an extension of 1000 hectares and is also known as Montaña de los Colorados because of the large number of monkeys there.
A wide variety of fauna and flora can be found in the sanctuary, as well as country trails and viewpoints.
San Jacinto is a municipality located 14 km (8.5 miles) from El Carmen de Bolivar.
Here is Cerro Macaco, a beautiful vantage point from which to see San Jacinto and other surrounding communities such as San Juan Nepomuceno.
In San Jacinto you will also find a wide range of handicraft products such as backpacks and hammocks made by weavers of the Zinú culture.
Colosó is a municipality located 53 km (33 miles) from El Carmen de Bolívar.
In this municipality there are natural pools, springs and a pre-Columbian museum.
The municipality of Turbaco is located 100 km (62 miles) from El Carmen de Bolivar.
This community has several attractions including mud volcanoes, nature trails, a history museum and the Guillermo de Piñeres Botanical Gardens with more than 300 species of plants.
Best time to visit El Carmen de Bolívar
The best time to visit El Carmen de Bolívar is between October and December, when the weather conditions are more favorable to visit and enjoy the various tourist attractions of the municipality.
In addition, in December you can attend one of the most important events in the municipality, the Multicultural Festival of the Montes de María.
Events in El Carmen de Bolivar
Here are the main events that take place in El Carmen de Bolívar throughout the year that you absolutely cannot miss.
Multicultural Festival of Montes de María
The Montes de María Multicultural Festival is an event that focuses on the culture and music of the Colombian Caribbean, such as fandango and porro.
During this event, organized by the Bolivar government, various events such as concerts, musical events, gastronomic and craft exhibitions take place.
The Multicultural Festival of the Montes de María usually takes place in December.
The patronal festival is celebrated in honor of the Virgen del Carmen in July.
Various events take place during this festival, such as the National Meeting of Porro and Clarinet Bands, religious processions and artistic performances.
Audiovisual Festival of the Montes de María
The Montes de María Audiovisual Festival showcases audiovisual productions from the Montes de María area, as well as other national and international productions.
This festival usually takes place between November and December.
Nightlife in El Carmen de Bolivar
In El Carmen de Bolívar there are some places where you can enjoy music and dancing, here are some of them.
La Abuela Elvi
Calle 24 # Carrera 54, Barrio Montecarmelo
La Abuela Elvi is a place with excellent food and a great atmosphere to share with friends.
Typical dishes in El Carmen de Bolivar
Here are some of the typical dishes that you can find in the municipality of El Carmen de Bolívar.
Mote de queso
The mote de queso is a dish made with coastal cheese, sweet potatoes, oil, salt, white onion, coastal whey, red onion, leaves and butter.
Enyucado is a dessert made with coconut, yucca, butter, aniseed, sugar, salt, and costeño cheese.
Empanada de Huevo is a dish made with lard, eggs, red pepper, slices of dough and cheese.
Galleta Chepacorina is made with flour, aged cheese, egg, baking powder, and powdered milk or whole milk.
Dulce de Guandu
Dulce de Guandú is made with coconut milk, pigeon peas, cow’s milk, cinnamon, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
Panochas are basically a toasted and hollowed out bread dough filled with a candy made from cheese, sugar and coconut.
Accommodation in El Carmen de Bolivar
Here are some of the properties available near El Carmen de Bolívar, Colombia:
Hostal Cultural El Telar
Barrio La Bajera carrera 47 # 20-21
Hostal Cultural El Telar is located in the municipality of San Jacinto, 14 km (8.5 miles) from El Carmen de Bolivar.
The property offers its guests different areas such as a garden, a bar and a shared lounge.
The rooms at Hostal Cultural El Telar are equipped with a private bathroom, air conditioning and a desk.
How to get to El Carmen de Bolivar?
The municipality of El Carmen de Bolívar is 929 km (577 miles) from Bogotá, the capital of Colombia. There are several ways to get to El Carmen de Bolívar from Bogotá.
The quickest way to reach El Carmen de Bolívar is by plane. The municipality does not have its own airport, so one has to fly to Las Brujas Airport, in the municipality of Corozal, which is connected to Bogotá and the main cities of the country.
This airport is located 46 km (28.5 miles) from El Carmen de Bolivar. You can fly with different airlines like LATAM or Satena.
El Carmen de Bolívar has a bus station in the Gambotico sector, so you can travel by bus with companies like Expreso Brasilia.
The journey takes about 17 hours.
The easiest way to buy tickets is via Pinbus.
Another option is to travel by car, although it can be quite long, taking between 17 and 18 hours depending on traffic and speed.
Please note that you have to pay about 9 tolls on the route.
The following companies rent cars in Colombia:
Colombia Travel Guides
Here you will find travel guides for the most popular regions in Colombia, which we have put together during our extensive travels around the country.
- Colombia Travel Guide
- Bogota Colombia Travel Guide
- Medellin Colombia Travel Guide
- Cartagena Colombia Travel Guide
- Santa Marta Colombia Travel Guide
- Cali Colombia Travel Guide
- Coffee Triangle Colombia Travel Guide
- Barranquilla Colombia Travel Guide
- La Guajira Colombia Travel Guide
- San Andres Island Colombia Travel Guide
- Providencia Island Colombia Travel Guide
- Casanare Llanos Colombia Travel Guide
- Amazonas Colombia Travel Guide
- Choco Colombia Travel Guide
- Santander Colombia Travel Guide
- Boyaca Colombia Travel Guide
Travel Guides to Colombia’s Small Towns
Here you will find travel guides for less popular destinations in Colombia. Some of these destinations are even real insider tips and not even known to the Colombians as travel destinations.
- Aguachica Colombia Travel Guide
- Arauca Colombia Travel Guide
- Armenia Colombia Travel Guide
- Barrancabermeja Colombia Travel Guide
- Bucaramanga Colombia Travel Guide
- Buenaventura Colombia Travel Guide
- Canyon Chicamocha Colombia Travel Guide
- El Carmen de Bolivar Colombia Travel Guide
- Caucasia Colombia Travel Guide
- Cucuta Colombia Travel Guide
- Florencia Colombia Travel Guide
- Ibagué Colombia travel guide
- Inirida Colombia Travel Guide
- Ipiales Colombia Travel Guide
- Magangue Colombia Travel Guide
- Manizales Colombia Travel Guide
- Mitu Colombia Travel Guide
- Mocoa Colombia Travel Guide
- Monteria Colombia Travel Guide
- Neiva Colombia Travel Guide
- Palomino Colombia Travel Guide
- Palmira Colombia Travel Guide
- Pasto Colombia Travel Guide
- Pereira Colombia Travel Guide
- Popayan Colombia Travel Guide
- Puerto Asis Colombia Travel Guide
- Puerto Carreno Colombia Travel Guide
- Quibdo Colombia Travel Guide
- Riohacha Colombia Travel Guide
- San José del Guaviare Colombia Travel Guide
- Sincelejo Colombia Travel Guide
- Sogamoso Colombia Travel Guide
- Tayrona Park Colombia Travel Guide
- Tulua Colombia Travel Guide
- Tumaco Colombia Travel Guide
- Tunja Colombia Travel Guide
- Turbo Colombia Travel Guide
- Valledupar Colombia Travel Guide
- Villa de Leyva Colombia Travel Guide
- Villavicencio Colombia Travel Guide
- Yopal Colombia Travel Guide