Last updated on November 9th, 2023 at 08:14 pm
My name is Frank and I run a travel agency in Bogota, Colombia. Have fun while reading!
Types of Golf Carts
There are various types of golf carts depending on their utility, and these can be classified as follows:
- Traditional Golf Carts: These carts can operate on either electricity or gasoline and are used to transport players and their equipment around the golf course.
- Personal Use Carts: These are smaller than traditional golf carts and are designed for personal use on the golf course.
- All-Terrain Carts: These are sturdier vehicles with four-wheel drive designed to traverse rougher terrain, such as hilly golf courses or natural areas.
- Utility Carts: These are used for specific tasks on the golf course, such as maintenance or transporting goods in commercial or recreational settings.
Factors When Buying a Golf Cart
When purchasing a golf cart, it’s necessary to consider the user’s needs and preferences, as well as its intended use. These buying factors can be divided as follows:
Electricity or Gasoline
The decision regarding this factor depends on several considerations. Electric carts are quieter and produce fewer carbon emissions during use, while gasoline-powered vehicles offer significantly greater range. Repairs for combustion engine vehicles are generally easier due to their widespread availability in the market and longevity. On the other hand, while electric vehicles can also be repaired easily, they often require more specialized technical knowledge that may not be available everywhere.
In terms of budget, electric golf carts may incur lower costs and may receive tax benefits such as insurance premium exemptions, taxes, and technical inspections. Vehicles requiring gasoline may have higher costs depending on engine size and maintenance level.
Range and Battery Life
For an electric cart, it’s essential to check its battery capacity and how far it can travel on a full charge, which is typically around 300 km. Gasoline-powered vehicles typically cover between 300 and 400 km on a full tank. An advantage of electric vehicles is the increasing availability of charging locations. Vehicle charging duration can be between 8 and 12 hours.
Size and Passenger Capacity
Golf carts generally offer good capacity for their functionality, with models available for 2, 4, or even 6 passengers.
In general, electric vehicles tend to require less maintenance than internal combustion vehicles. This is due to several reasons:
- Fewer moving parts: Electric motors have fewer moving parts compared to internal combustion engines, resulting in less wear and fewer parts that can break or require replacement.
- Fewer fluids: Electric vehicles do not have complex transmission systems or engines that require oil and regular oil changes. This reduces the need for oil changes and other fluid-related maintenance.
- Less heat and friction: Electric motors generate less heat and friction compared to internal combustion engines, reducing part wear and the likelihood of breakdowns.
- Regenerative brakes: Many electric vehicles use regenerative brakes, which help reduce wear on brake pads, meaning fewer brake changes are necessary.
However, it’s essential to note that electric vehicles are not entirely maintenance-free. They still require regular inspections, tire rotations, brake adjustments, and maintenance of systems like suspension and steering. In addition, electric vehicle batteries may eventually experience degradation that requires attention or replacement, although this typically occurs after many years of use.
In summary, electric vehicles generally require less maintenance compared to internal combustion vehicles, but they still require periodic care and attention. On the other hand, it’s easier to find spare parts for combustion engine cars, as they are more common.
Costs and Budget
In general, electric golf carts tend to be more expensive in terms of the initial price compared to gasoline golf carts. The main reason for this is that they use electric motors and batteries, which are more expensive components than the engines and fuel systems used in gasoline golf carts. However, this can vary depending on the vehicle model and the location. It’s essential to note that, over time, electric golf carts are typically more cost-effective to operate and maintain than gasoline golf carts. Here are some key reasons:
- Lower energy costs: Electricity is usually cheaper than gasoline or diesel, meaning charging an electric golf cart is more cost-effective than filling up the tank of a gasoline golf cart.
- Less maintenance: Electric golf carts tend to require less maintenance, as they have fewer moving parts and do not need oil changes or engine adjustments.
- Longer battery life: When properly cared for, the battery of an electric golf cart can last for many years before requiring replacement.
- Lower environmental impact: Electric golf carts are more environmentally friendly and have a smaller environmental impact in terms of greenhouse gas emissions and local pollutants.
Therefore, while the initial cost of an electric golf cart may be higher, it may result in lower overall costs in the long run due to fuel and maintenance savings. The choice between an electric or gasoline golf cart depends on your specific needs and budget.
Models of Golf Carts in Colombia
Although these vehicles can be found online, some physical locations are situated in cities such as Bogotá, Medellín, Cali, and Barranquilla. Some models offered at these locations include:
- E-Z-GO Express S4: This electric golf cart is powered by lithium-ion batteries, which are maintenance-free and come with an 8-year warranty. Its main features include folding rear seats for cargo, storage pockets on the dashboard, front, rear, and brake lights, as well as a double USB port.
- E-Z-GO Express S6: This electric vehicle features lithium-ion battery technology that requires no maintenance and also comes with an 8-year warranty. It has a folding rear seat, LED headlights, a functional dashboard with versatile cup holders, and three storage areas.
- E-Z-GO Express L6 Elite: This vehicle is powered by a high-performance lithium-ion battery that requires no maintenance and has an 8-year warranty from the supplier. Some of its key features include folding rear seats for cargo, storage pockets on the dashboard, front, rear, and brake lights, as well as a double USB port.
- E-Z-GO RXV Freedom: This vehicle is powered by a high-performance lithium-ion battery that requires no maintenance and has an 8-year warranty from the supplier. Some of its main features include front, rear, and brake lights, a state-of-charge meter, a DC/DC converter, a 48-volt battery charger, a new dashboard design with large cupholders, and a USB port.
These models can be rented by individuals or companies. Some available models are:
- Cushman Shuttle™ 4: This model is available in both gasoline and electric versions and comes with a supplier’s warranty. Features include rearview mirrors, an hour meter, a portable charger, turn signals, brake lights, and LED headlights.
- Cushman Shuttle™ 6: This vehicle, like the Shuttle 4, comes in both gasoline and electric versions and comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty. Features include a portable charger, turn signals, brake lights, LED headlights, and a CE kit (gasoline only).
- Cushman Shuttle™ 8: This vehicle is also available in both gasoline and electric versions and includes a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty. Its main features are a portable charger, turn signals, brake lights, LED headlights, and a CE kit (gasoline only).
Use of Golf Carts in Golf Clubs in Colombia
When renting or buying a golf cart for use in a private club, it’s essential to consider the club’s rules and conditions. For example, at Club Peñalisa, the vehicle can only be used when authorized to transport players in the company of a caddy. Likewise, Club Ruitoque’s regulations state that golf carts should only travel on roads designated for these vehicles and not in other areas such as bodies of water, yard markers, or fairways and roughs.
Each golf club in Colombia has different specifications for the use and handling of golf carts. It’s advisable to check with the association and familiarize yourself with the conditions at the time of using this vehicle.
More about Golf in Colombia
Find out everything you need to know about golf in Colombia in our blogs.