Last updated on October 20th, 2023 at 02:41 pm
My name is Frank and I run a travel agency in Bogota, Colombia. Have fun while reading!
What is glamping?
Glamping is a combination of the words “glamorous” and “camping”. It is a form of camping that combines the amenities and comfort of a luxury hotel with the experience of camping in nature. With glamping, guests stay in well-equipped tents, cabins, treehouses or other unconventional accommodations, most of which come with amenities such as comfortable beds, private bathrooms, electricity, heating and sometimes even hot tubs or air conditioning.
The focus of glamping is to provide guests with a relaxing and luxurious experience in nature without sacrificing the comfort and amenities of a hotel. Glamping destinations are often found in picturesque settings such as national parks, forests, deserts or on the beach, giving guests the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of nature without sacrificing comfort and luxury. It’s a popular option for people who want to experience nature but don’t want to miss out on the amenities they’re used to in a hotel.
Why was glamping created?
Glamping was created to offer a new form of outdoor experience that combines the comfort and luxury of hotel accommodation with adventure and closeness to nature. There are several reasons why glamping emerged:
- Demand for comfort in nature: Many people appreciate the beauty of nature and want to experience it up close, but do not want to miss out on the amenities and comfort of a hotel. Glamping offers a way to combine the two, meeting the needs of nature lovers who still appreciate certain amenities.
- Growing interest in outdoor tourism: With the growing interest in outdoor activities and tourism, the demand for various forms of camping is also increasing. Glamping appeals to a broader audience, including people who don’t have much experience with tents or camping.
- Tourism and Revenue: Glamping can be a way for tourism businesses to generate new revenue streams. Providing luxury accommodation in natural settings can help attract tourists and boost the economy in rural areas.
- Innovative design and creativity: Glamping often requires innovative design and creativity in the accommodation design. This allows architects and designers to create unique and appealing structures in nature.
- Environmental awareness: Some glamping facilities emphasize environmentally friendly practices, such as using renewable energy or sustainable construction. This can help raise awareness of environmental issues and promote sustainable travel.
Overall, glamping was created to offer a luxurious and comfortable way to experience nature that meets the needs of people who want to enjoy the beauty of nature without sacrificing the comforts and conveniences of the modern world.
Origins of glamping
From the Ottoman Empire
We can say that the concept of glamping started with the elegant houses that different tribes and soldiers used for their respective wars. This type of luxurious accommodation was part of the culture of the Ottoman Empire, then it was used by the Mongol tribes, and finally it was used by the English nobles who belonged to a high social class. The Ottoman tents served as inspiration for what we know today as glamping.
Some sources even claim that today’s yurts date back to the time of Genghis Khan, the leader of the Mongol Empire. This, of course, means that the accommodations for the campaigns in Asia and Europe were quite comfortable and had everything needed for extended travel in precarious places. Another example of ancient glamping was practiced by Siberian tribes who used sheep’s wool to build warm and optimal shelters for the climatic conditions in the frozen tundras.
In the 20th century
As you already know, glamping comes from camping and was only considered a recreational activity 100 years ago. In the 20th century, wealthy people from Britain or America had mobile camps with all the comforts imaginable during African safaris: spacious and luxurious beds, beautiful Persian carpets and a chef.
Camping became increasingly popular thanks to the lifestyle of the upper class. Later, with the wars, it was a way to escape the chaos in the cities. This could only be fun if they had enough space and comfort. But it wasn’t until a little later that even families with fewer means began to set up camps outside the cities, of course with fewer amenities. Thanks to this initiative, the idea of camping became less unattainable and it began to be viewed more as an activity that anyone could do with the resources available.
The current glamping
In recent years, due to changing views on the environment, camping in the greatest luxury like the British has become a trend again. Since then, there have been more and more glamping accommodations around the world. In fact, there is data that says searches related to this type of accommodation have been made on Google since 2004, revealing that Ireland and the United Kingdom were the most requested locations by visitors.
The common philosophy of glamping sites, such as sustainability and providing innovative experiences in contact with nature, makes them truly attractive to tourists. Currently, an important reason for the popularity of these establishments is the use of social networks by young people and adults who want to share these experiences with their loved ones. The above makes more people explore these places in search of a similar adventure.
We have already described what glamping is and where it comes from, but you should also read about how to distinguish this accommodation from others:
- Unique accommodations: You no longer have to resort to uncomfortable and small tents because glamping offers you luxurious cabins, domes, and unique safari tents.
- Furniture and amenities: At a glamping site you can take advantage of large and comfortable beds, high-quality linens and carpets, and other services such as private bathrooms, fireplaces, heating, air conditioning, etc. are often also provided.
- Electricity and Connectivity: Most of these properties have internet access and power outlets to connect various devices. All this to offer the greatest possible comfort.
- Additional services: Depending on the type of glamping and its location, you can enjoy nearby restaurants, bars, swimming pools, snack bars, spas, massages, hot tubs and guided activities.
- Places that will take your breath away: One of the key features of glamping is that you enjoy a connection with nature that is difficult to achieve. You will live in forests, mountains, caves, near lakes or beaches and enjoy beautiful views.
- Various Activities: They generally offer unique experiences such as bird watching, kayaking, canoeing and horse riding that can be done near the glamping.
- Privacy and exclusivity: Guests have at their disposal an environment with few people and away from the noise of the city, as it is located outside the city capitals.
Types of glamping
There are different types and concepts of glamping. Here is a selection:
- Luxury cabins: They are structures built with high-quality materials to offer the greatest possible comfort in the middle of nature. They also have rooms with large beds, private bathrooms, fireplaces, equipped kitchens and terraces.
- Yurts: These are circular, portable structures generally used in Central Asia. These tents offer plenty of space, bright colors and ethnic details. They are mostly equipped with traditional furniture.
- Caravans and Airstreams: These are travel trailers that have been redesigned and offer all the necessary modern amenities. These options are aimed at those who want to get around comfortably and are usually located in camps with connecting services.
- Geodesic domes: These are spherical structures that provide peripheral vision around you, allowing you to completely immerse yourself in nature. Some options have transparent roofs so you can admire the starry sky at night.
- Safari tents: These are spacious tents that are reminiscent of African safaris. They have the usual amenities such as comfortable beds, elegant furniture and some also have terraces with wide panoramic views of the surrounding area.
- Eco-lodges: These are accommodations designed in a sustainable manner to minimize the impact on the environment. They are built from natural materials and offer eco-friendly amenities such as solar panels, sustainable water systems and eco-friendly cuisine.
- Tipis: These are traditional Native American structures popular for their design and connection to indigenous culture. These tents have a conical shape with a wooden frame and a strong tarpaulin.
Why should you choose to stay in a glamping hotel?
Glampings are not ideal for every target group. However, here is a list of which interests can be covered:
- Connection with nature: You can live a complete experience immersed in a natural ecosystem while relaxing with the services and amenities that these places guarantee.
- Comfort and luxury: As you already know, one of the characteristics of glamping is that it offers you everything you have in your home and you even have some additional services that allow you to relax in the middle of nowhere.
- Unique Experience: You don’t want to miss the opportunity to show your friends how much fun you had on vacation sleeping in a safari tent or traditional yurt. It is the best way for you to get away from it all and visit unusual destinations.
- Variety of travel destinations: The location of the glamping sites is very diverse. One day you can be lying on the beach and enjoying the refreshing sea breeze, and the next day you can be staying on a majestic mountain and enjoying the view.
- Flexibility and Simplicity: Glamping is very easy because, unlike camping, you don’t need to set up your own tent. All you have to do is bring your clothes and the property will take care of the rest; So, the only thing you need to think about is how to have a good time with the variety of activities you can choose from.
What are glampings like around the world?
The increasing popularity of glamping has meant that on every continent, some are visited more than others due to their geographical or climatic conditions. Remember that every glamping has a different charm and therefore, depending on what you want, there is one in the world that is sure to suit your taste.
- Alpine huts: These accommodations are popular in countries such as Switzerland, Austria and France. These huts offer you an unforgettable experience amidst mountainous landscapes.
- Yurts: This accommodation offers beautiful panoramic views and ethnic furnishings in Eastern Europe. Some countries such as Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria are known to have space in their glamping portfolio too.
- Glamping in castles: Enjoy the elegance and charm of historic castles with the highest level of comfort. These often include restaurants, spas and cultural activities.
- Ranch Glamping: They offer an unparalleled adventure where you experience what life is like in the Wild West. Of course, the furniture is luxurious and it has all the services that guarantee an excellent sleep.
- Airstreams and RVs: Offer modern amenities and the flexibility to explore new destinations while you’re in them.
- Eco Lodge: These accommodations in the Amazon jungle offer an all-encompassing experience surrounded by lush nature. They are popular in Brazil, Peru and Ecuador.
- Cabins in Patagonia: Argentina and Chile, where the Patagonia region is located, have some of the most beautiful glamping sites with views of mountains, glaciers and lakes.
- Geodesic Domes: They have caught the attention of many and that is why they are one of the most visited glamping sites. They feature modern and avant-garde facilities while offering spacious accommodation with panoramic views.
- Safari Tents: They offer a complete glamping experience with elegant accommodation, comfortable beds and the opportunity to go on safaris and wildlife viewing. They are common in countries such as Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa.
- Mobile Camps: Depending on the time of year, you can witness a natural spectacle with animal movements during animal hikes in places like the Serengeti in Tanzania or the Masai Mara in Kenya.
- Treehouses: These are houses built between or in tall trees and are likely to allow you to view wildlife from above.
- Glamping on the beach: They offer luxury tents and villas with sea views. They are found on the Thai islands of Koh Samui and Phuket.
- Cave glamping: These are caves that have already been adapted to provide the necessary amenities. Comfort ranges from living areas to immaculate interiors with modern amenities. They are common in Cappadocia in Turkey and in the Guilin region of China.
Glamping in Colombia
Colombia is a country known worldwide for its wide variety of natural landscapes, ranging from tropical jungles to Caribbean beaches and majestic mountains.
Where to go glamping in Colombia?
Because of its authentic appeal, Colombia is one of the most popular places for glamping.
- Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta: On the Caribbean coast you will find beautiful glamping sites near white sandy beaches and tropical jungles. Accommodations are typically cabins or tents with ocean views and access to activities such as hiking, diving, and visits to indigenous communities.
- Coffee Axis: The glamping sites offered in the region known for its coffee plantations and mountain landscapes are cabins or geodesic domes with panoramic views of nature. Here you can enjoy the tranquility of the accommodation with a freshly brewed cup of coffee.
- Tayrona National Park: It is a popular glamping destination due to its location near the jungle and the park’s pristine beaches. Those who visit the place will surely enjoy the biodiversity of the place.
- Colombian Amazon: In general, glamping sites can be either ecological cabins or luxury tents, where you have the opportunity to learn a little more about the local indigenous culture.
- Los Nevados National Park: The Colombian Andes are home to glaciers, lagoons and volcanoes. You will find unique glamping spots such as yurts or themed cabins. It is also recommended to enjoy climbing and bird watching, which are common and popular activities among visitors to these accommodations.
Special feature of glamping in Colombia
As a travel professional, I am of course always up to date on the latest trends in the country. The boom in glamping began in the years before 2020. Service providers have recognized that you can achieve a higher price in the market with the name glamping. Today, many offers are called glampings and are highly praised, even if these offers either have nothing to do with glamping or are absolutely inferior in quality. A consolidation in the market and a normalization of prices is still pending.
More Accommodations in Colombia
Do you want to get to know more about accommodations in Colombia? Read our hotel recommendations in the main destinations of the country.